We use Charlotte Mason’s principle of copywork
to teach language, grammar
and develop vocabulary and style
and practice beautiful handwriting at the same time!
It is wonderful to see what regular copywork teaches!
- beautiful, flowing, neat handwriting
- appreciation for people’s’ thoughts, ideas and views
- vocabulary extension ~ new words are often incorporated into the child’s own writing
- sentence construction ~ a natural method of learning language
- expressive writing ~ provides ideas, knowledge and skills to writing
- grammar – learnt from whole and broken into its parts in natural contextual method.
- reinforces memorization and memory of famous quotations
Nature Inspired Famous Quotes ~
These famous nature-inspired quotes are really beautiful. Following every quote is a lined section and then a writing prompt. These questions stimulate the child’s personal response to the quote. (Click here to read the original post.)
Quotes Copywork Nature 2 per page (pdf file)
Quotes Nature Copywork full-page print (MS Word doc file)
(Download this version if you wish to change the font size or style)
- Nature quotes for younger to middle school children with 2 copywork selections per page.
- These are fairly short and relatively easy to understand.
- A small picture adds a nature touch to each page.
- 9 page pdf download for 18 copywork selections.
- A single, slightly longer nature quote on a full-page for older to high school children.
- Deeper and more personal writing prompts.
- Simple, but elegant page border creates a lovely finish.
- 22 page pdf download (so please be patient.)
Most of my quotes were found on famousquotesandauthors.com
Sonlight Language Arts Copywork ~ Reading with Easy Readers
Because the Sonlight worksheets are in print and I want my children to practice cursive handwriting, I have printed out my beginner cursive writer’s selections in our favourite style cursive on primary lined paper. (Read the original post here.)
We have 2 font styles we like:
I prefer the ABC Cursive font because it is the exact style our South African schools use and I used this style for our laminated handwriting charts.
- ABC Cursive copywork
- Download ABC Cursive Font Copywork ~ CopyworkDictation with Easy Readers
My daughter prefers the loopy, more upright style of the Cursif font. We correct basic upper case letter differences and our ‘r’s. I don’t mind the slight differences as long as she writes neatly and carefully when she copies her work.
- Cursif Copywork
- Download Cursif Font Copywork ~ CopyworkDictation Easy Readers Cursif
George Washington Carver’s quotes ~
I have used 12 inspiring G.W. Carver quotes and each page has an interpretive question or vocabulary extension section. The copywork pages are in 3 different formats ~
Primary lines George Washington Carver Quotes ~13 pages with red top line/blue base line/ grey dotted middle line with large spaces for easy, big letters and includes a biography page on George Washington Carver
George Washington Carver Quotes ~13 pages with black and grey dotted lines and medium spaces and includes a biography page on George Washington Carver
Print George Washington Carver Quotes ~ 13 pages with clear print font and primary lines as above and includes a biography page on George Washington Carver
Famous World Leader Quotes ~
Copywork Famous Quotes ~ a 10 page copywork download.
These pages are an excellent addition to Sonlight World History Core 1&2. I have selected some of the most famous leaders (Queen Elizabeth 1, Winston Churchill, Napoleon and others) for these pages. Each page has a print and cursive version and a place for personal interpretation or vocabulary extension.