Create lovely, edible cake decorations with marshmallow paste for a birthday cake.
Here’s the recipe for Marshmallow Paste:
15 White Marshmallows
100g sifted Icing Sugar
Corn flour/ Icing sugar
- Melt the marshmallows in a bowl in the microwave, stirring every 10 seconds.
- Add the icing sugar to the melted marshmallows and mix till it forms a paste. (Heat again if it becomes too cool and stiff.)
- Divide into several small balls and colour each ball separately, leaving 1 ball separate for white.
- To colour – place the ball on a plate in the microwave for 20 sec and knead a few drops of food colouring into the hot paste. (Caution – it gets very hot! Do NOT use your fingers – I used a table knife and pressed the flat side into the ball and kneaded it on a little sprinkle of icing sugar till the colour was right through.)
- When the pastes gets hard, just warm it quickly in the microwave for about 10 secs and then create your shapes.
- If the paste gets sticky use a little sprinkle of corn flour or icing sugar to reduce the stickiness.
- Different pieces will stick together if it is warm. Add sprinkles or silver balls for detail when the paste is warm.
- Although this is completely edible, it is not that delicious. (smile)
- These decorations will last several days in an air-tight container. Sprinkle a little cornflour/ icing sugar on the bottom of the container to prevent sticking.
For the rest of the original post read “Shrektacular” Shrek Birthday Party Ideas!