A dish mat is an absorbent cloth used to drain dishes on your sink or counter-top.
For this practical, frugal, easy-sewing project you will need:
- towelling material (or even an old dish towel) to fit the space of the drain board
- cotton material the size of the towel
- contrast material/ ribbon (optional – leave out for beginner sewers)
Here are the quick and easy steps:
- Cut the towel (if needed) to fit the size of your drain board.
- Cut the material to fit the towel.
- Pin the edges of the contrast material strips to the material and sew right-sides together with a 1/4″ seam/ or over-lock (serge). Press seam flat.
- Place the material right-side down on to the towel and sew a 1/4″ seam or over-lock serge) the edges, leaving a gap about the width of a hand open.
- Turn right-side out.
- Fold under the opening’s edges and top-stitch closed and top-stitch along all the sides.
- Top-stitch the contrast strips of material to keep the towel & material layers together.
- Viola! Press and use.
If your children are beginner sewers and can safely manage the sewing machine, they will be able to create this dish mat in about 20 minutes to half an hour.