Sacred Eating describes a meaningful, deep, contemplative way of reading God’s Word.
Several years ago I wrote about how I usually follow a Bible reading program and systematically read through the entire Bible every year. But for some time I had missed the revelation and intimacy of my more detailed, slower Bible studies. I was hungry for more growth, for deeper insight and God’s personal revelation while I read.
I want the Word to be my daily bread that fully nourishes me, feeds me, makes me grow, and changes me. I want the Lord to teach me how to really read His Word so that I grow, change, become more like Him. And so, instead of reading long passages, I began a season of reading and meditating on just one or two verses …
“Reading (the Word), as it were, puts the solid food into our mouths, meditation chews it and breaks it down, prayer obtains the flavour of it and contemplation is the very sweetness which makes us glad and refreshes us.” ~Guigo
So here’s how to read the Word as sacredly as the bread of life. When you read the Word you
- Linger over the Word, reading deliberately, slowly, savouring and re-reading the words. We chew the words over, understanding their meaning as a living message.
- Listen to what the Lord is saying, as if spoken to us personally, listening to the still small voice of God that speaks to us personally, uniquely, and intimately. We meditate on this Word, letting His Word becomes one with our being.
- Lift voices to pray, asking Him to forgive us where we fail to fulfil His Word, to fill us with His Spirit and make His word real and alive in us. We sing songs of praise, thank Him, worship Him, and respond personally to Him, asking Him to help us trust and obey his words.
- Live out the Word as a lifestyle as His Spirit leads us. We apply these words in our daily living, practically, obediently, faithfully, reverently. In this way, the Word in the Bible becomes flesh in us.
What simplicity. It is easy enough for a young child to learn and practice.
I have created a free download for you which includes ~
- Beautiful bookmarks (for you and your family, or as gifts), to use as daily Bible reminders as you read God’s Word slowly and sacredly.
- A summary of Ann Voskamp of Holy Experience post How to eat differently this year
- A summary of The World’s Best Bible-Reading Program with my matching Bible Study Notebook Page
Free Download ~ Sacred Eating God’s Word
May the Lord faithfully lead you deeper in, onwards and upwards.
Blessings and much grace, Nadene
Subscribe Click to receive all my new posts packed with practical tips, projects, plans, pages & art ideas by email
Facebook Follow Practical Pages on Facebook