Sacred Eating describes a meaningful, deep, contemplative way of reading God’s Word.
Several years ago I wrote about how I usually follow a Bible reading program and systematically read through the entire Bible every year. But for some time I had missed the revelation and intimacy of my more detailed, slower Bible studies. I was hungry for more growth, for deeper insight and God’s personal revelation while I read.
I want the Word to be my daily bread that fully nourishes me, feeds me, makes me grow, and changes me. I want the Lord to teach me how to really read His Word so that I grow, change, become more like Him. And so, instead of reading long passages, I began a season of reading and meditating on just one or two verses …
A creative Bible note on one verse … I compared different versions to extract as much meaning as I could …
“Reading (the Word), as it were, puts the solid food into our mouths, meditation chews it and breaks it down, prayer obtains the flavour of it and contemplation is the very sweetness which makes us glad and refreshes us.” ~Guigo
So here’s how to read the Word as sacredly as the bread of life. When you read the Word you
- Linger over the Word, reading deliberately, slowly, savouring and re-reading the words. We chew the words over, understanding their meaning as a living message.
- Listen to what the Lord is saying, as if spoken to us personally, listening to the still small voice of God that speaks to us personally, uniquely, and intimately. We meditate on this Word, letting His Word becomes one with our being.
- Lift voices to pray, asking Him to forgive us where we fail to fulfil His Word, to fill us with His Spirit and make His word real and alive in us. We sing songs of praise, thank Him, worship Him, and respond personally to Him, asking Him to help us trust and obey his words.
- Live out the Word as a lifestyle as His Spirit leads us. We apply these words in our daily living, practically, obediently, faithfully, reverently. In this way, the Word in the Bible becomes flesh in us.
What simplicity. It is easy enough for a young child to learn and practice.
I have created a free download for you which includes ~
Free Download ~ Sacred Eating God’s Word
May the Lord faithfully lead you deeper in, onwards and upwards.
Blessings and much grace, Nadene
Click to receive all my new posts packed with practical tips, projects, plans, pages & art ideas by email
Follow Practical Pages on Facebook
My 10-year-old loves our daily Parables minibooks.
She enjoys reading the full, MKJV scriptures in each booklet by herself,
and then narrate the parable back to me.
We have wonderful discussions
and she amazes me with her spiritual insights.
Most of all, she loves to add some things to each minibook ~
a patch on old cloth,
a few grains of yeast,
some netting and some colored fish,
a fluffy lamb
Her simple delight in these little “add on’s” is a reminder that
young children love the concrete, hands-on activities.
My child’s inspiration has transformed her ‘ordinary’ Bible Notebook pages
into something unique and special!
I am a facilitator to her creativity.
Her notebook pages may turn out quite differently to the way I imagined them,
and that is precisely how it should be ~
How do your children make their Bible Study personal?
My young teenager needs to know who she is in Christ.
Knowing these promises will empower her to stand in faith and grow in grace.
40 days of focus is God’s way of establishing new understanding and establishing solid relationship with the His Words, His Ways and His Will.
So I created this 40-day Bible Study ~
40-day calendar with promises and scripture references
Full MKJV scripture verses for each promise
You are welcome to download your free Bible Study pages ~
Who I am in Christ 40 days ~ A 40-day calendar
Who I am in Christ ~ with full MKJV Bible verses
May I please add ~ The Word of God is living and able to change us. We all need to know these promises, so feel free to use this for any age or group. This calendar is not a strict 40-day schedule, but rather to use it to focus on 40 amazing promises. It could also be used as a prayer calendar.
I love combining subjects and themes!
Our Nature Study and Outdoor Hour Challenge (OHC) theme for this month is
It works wonderfully with a Bible Study!
Here’s your free week’s discipleship with stones and rocks ~ Discipleship with Rocks and Stone
Each day presents a simple practical outdoor activity, provides prompts for personal reflection, includes some relevant scriptures and suggests an application.
Inspired by “Leef met hart & siel“ (A South African Christian Magazine) November 2012.
I’m delighted to release my latest free lapbook ~
Free Parables Lapbook
- chronological order parables master list with scripture references in all gospels
- 38 parables (almost every parable!)
- complete scripture quotes for every parable in each minibook
- Modern King James Version
- simple square design in different folded minibook formats
- colorful front page art work
- many minibooks have blank pages inside for the child’s own notes or drawings
- matching choice of notebook pages, some lined, blank, half page lined, or primary lines
My lapbook elements can be used as ~
- minibooks and pasted into a lapbook, or,
- combined with the notebook pages provided, or
- Collected and stacked as stand-alone minibooks (maybe create a little square box for the pack?)
- scripture memorization cards
Here are your free downloads ~
- Parables Master List (2 pages)
- Parables Booklets 1-9 (10 pages)
- Parables Booklets 10-19 (9 pages)
- Parables Booklets 20-27 (9 pages)
- Parables Booklets 28-34 (11 pages)
- Parables Booklets 35-38 (5 pages)
- Parables Notebook Pages (4 pages)
- Just for fun, a 1-page-into-10-page minibook ~ Parables – Kingdom of God is like …
I humbly ask that you respect my copyright and request that you link back to my blog if you wish to share these with others.
Be blessed as you dig into God’s word with your children.
I’m so excited!
I created a brand new lapbook for our Bible Study ~
The Book Of
- This lapbook is based entirely on scriptures using the Modern King James Version.
- These minibooks cover about 90% of the Book of James.
- The complete download consists of 14 pages with about 34 minibooks, a cover page and other references and notes. For quicker download times I have split this lapbook into 4 smaller files. 🙂
- Some minibooks have place for personal notes, study, application or activity, but they all can stand alone for memory verses.
- I created the lapbook for middle-school ages, but it is really suitable for high schoolers and even adults.
- Because we love to combine our minibooks and notebook pages, I created a basic notebook page for the Book of James. The notebook page has lines for copywork and for personal application. There is an open space for pasting minibooks or illustrations. I let my children choose which verse they want to copy and write about, and they enjoy the freedom to lay out and paste their minibooks as they wish. Here is my 9-year-old’s page:
Here are your downloads:
Some extras on-line:
- A wonderful James Bible Study handout with the complete text of James and questions with spaces for your write your notes at Padfield.com
- An online Bible study for children with basic scriptures, corresponding Bible verses, simple principles and some activities at Children’s Bible Study.com
I trust you enjoy this download. Please feel free to share your lapbook and notebook pages with us!