Here are all our art appreciation lessons, art activities and downloads.
We follow a Charlotte Mason art appreciation approach ~
“Children should learn pictures, line by line, group by group, reading, not books, but pictures themselves … After a short story of the artist’s life … the pictures are studied one at a time. Children learn not merely to see a picture but to look at it, taking in every detail.”
Featuring ~Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael Sanzio da Urbino, Sandro Botticelli, Anthony van Dyck, Johannes Vermeer, Francisco Goya, Pablo Picasso, Auguste Rodin, Peter Paul Rubens, Salvador Dali, Henry Moore, Jackson Pollock
- Famous Artists Wall Chart 2015 includes a brief biography, portrait picture and a mini-gallery of three famous artworks.
- Famous Artist Biography page A biography notebook page with map for art appreciation lessons.
- Biography Famous Artists Red_Blue for primary schoolers
- Biography Famous Artists Black Lines with Map
- Famous Artists Lapbook ~ This lapbook includes 18 of the most famous artists. featuring their masterpieces and a blank minibook. Your child can pick and choose how you wish to use each page. I have included an organized lapbook planner, complete with website links and extra application ideas.
Famous Impressionist Artists
Featuring ~ Edgar Degas, Vincent Van Gogh, Georges Seurat, Paul Cezanne, Claude Monet, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Paul Gauguin, Mary Cassatt, Paul Signac, Alfred Sisley, Camille Pissarro, Bertha Morisot
I have selected my favourite famous Impressionist artists, included a brief biography and made a gallery of 3 of their most famous artworks to put up as a wall chart. This is a wonderful way to display the “artist of the month” you are studying in your homeschool. A 16-page PDF download.
Practical tips for using the wall chart:
- Laminate all the portraits and gallery pictures.
- Let your children research and find 3 more art works to add to the gallery.
- Expand each biography and let your children give 5 – 8 facts about the artist studied.
- Make a sketch or reproduce their own version of their favourite art work for each artist. See examples in our art appreciation lessons below.
- Use coffee table art books, library books, calendars or posters with Impressionist Art.
- Use the featured art as a background or screen saver on your computer.
- Visit a gallery or a local artist at their studio.
- For review, play a matching game and match the gallery to the correct artist.
- Famous Impressionist Artist Lapbook
For a lapbook or notebook & minibook combination, this versatile 18 page PDF package includes thumbnails of masterpieces, suggested activities, blank minibook templates and an organized lapbook planner for any option using minibooks. This download will offer enough material for dedicated study of each artist and their works.
Blank Biography Famous Impressionist Artists ~ Our 13 featured artists on blank page. Ideal for minibook combo!
Primary Biography Famous Impressionist Artists ~ The 13 artists with red & blue & dotted grey lines in wider spaces for beginner writers
Black line Biography Famous Impressionist Artists ~ As above with neat black and dotted grey lines for more mature writers.
Art Era Timeline Page
The Art Era Timeline is a very comprehensive overview, with dates, eras, famous artists of each movement and a thumbnail example of their most eminent works. Different eras are on separate pages.
Due to the size of the Art Era Timeline file, I have broken the file into the first 4 downloads:
- Art Era Timeline 1 Pre-Renaissance-18thC ~ 9 page download
- Art Era Timeline 2 19thC – Late 19thC ~ 14 page download
- Art Era Timeline 3 Early 20th C – Modern ~11 page download
- Art Era 4 Timeline Modern ~ A large file – 18 pages
- Simple Famous Artist Timeline ~ perfect for middle schoolers
- Art and Music Timeline ~ a parallel view of Music and Art Eras combined in a simpler timeline:
- Print out and bind as is, or add to a Book of Centuries
- Cut and paste the pages side-by-side/ under each other as an art timeline. (It’ll be huge!)
- Add art work thumbnails to a timeline on a wall.
- Cut the art works and paste them on cards and let children match the artists to the eras.
Art Appreciation Lessons
(Click on the links below the images for the post with all the links, free download and lesson ideas.)
Here is your free download ~ Paul Klee bio & gallery & art lessons
- “Word Art” with free grid download
Leonardo da Vinci
- Leonardo Pastel Portraits with free sketch outline
- Leonardo’s Baby Sketches with sketch downloads.
Pieter Bruegel the Elder
- Bruegel’s Wedding Feast with outline drawing
- Cow Skull and Roses
- Georgia O’Keeffe paintings with her famous quotes with biography page
- Free download ~ Georgia O’Keeffe quotes and gallery
- Georgia O’Keeffe Quotes
Albert Bierstadt in pastels
John Singer Sargent
William Adolphe Bouguereau
- Wonderful Works of William Adolphe Bouguereau with biography and gallery of his works
- Mondrian Inspiration
Vincent Van Gogh
- Berthe’s Woman Sewing in Her Garden
- Mending a Stocking – Another Vuillard Art Appreciation Lesson
Street Art Appreciation Lesson – Banksy and Stik inspired street art
Marjolein Bastin is a Dutch-noted nature artist, writer, children’s author and illustrator.
Other Art Lessons
“365 Things to Draw and Paint” Usborne Activities by Fiona Watt (ISBN 978-1-86806-319-2)
This book revived my 10-year-old’s love for art! All the lessons are simple, non-threatening and FUN! Read our posts ~
“Drawing with Children” by Mona Brookes
Read my blog post ~ Warm-Ups Works!
South African Artist
I hope these art lessons inspire you to give art a try in your homeschool! 🙂
I’d love to hear from you ~ if you have enjoyed a download, need advice or just wish to contact me, please feel free to write. I will respond to your private email via the contact form on my About Me page. 🙂