As we draw to the close of 2011,
I wanted to capture the defining moments of the year
on a calendar and a world map.
So much happened this year ~
- tsunami – devastated much of Japan
- nuclear disaster – caused by Japan’s tsunami
- volcanoes erupted
- volcanic ash clouds – stopped air travel
- major political events – dictators killed, governments overthrown, revolutions
- important economic events – e.g.: Financial recession & Euro fears
- Significant social events – e.g.: Prince William & Katherine’s wedding, celebrity deaths
I prepared this activity for an end-of-year overview for my middle-school and high school children.
I think I will prepare these pages for next year and we could fill in events on a world map as the year progresses when we discuss current events.
You could keep record of natural disasters and extreme weather on a separate map. As these disasters happen, your child could do a unity study or a research project on them.
Older children can follow important political changes, and note major economical and social events.
Here’s my free download ~
Included in this download are ~
- World map with events entered with symbols (grace please for any errors or omissions 😉 )
- Calendar with colour-coded details in each month
- A blank calendar page
- Blank world map
- References and internet links (Disclaimer: I found information on major events and dates from most my information from Wikipedia and other sites, but I do NOT endorse or necessarily agree with any view points or comments from any of these sites.)
The world is in times of extreme change.
We need to be watchful and pray.