We couldn’t wait to start our music appreciation on Schubert because our family LOVE the Young Victoria movie.
“What is the connection?” I hear you ask.
Well, Barb of Harmony Art Mom linked to several Schubert YouTube videos of his music, and this is the link that started it all!
and she posted all these Schubert videos:
- Franz Schubert – loving this artist’s style
- What am I listening to today? More Schubert!
- He has done it again
But allow me to go back to the movie Young Victoria for a little longer …
Franz Schubert is Prince Alfred’s favourite composer and he declares his love to Victoria by sending her the Swan Song ( Schwanengesang, D 957: no 4) which plays during a tender scene in the movie.
Beautiful connection. We all decided that this piece by Schubert is our favourite …
I found some other Schubert sites:
- Study the secrets of Schubert
- Free mp3 of Franz Schubert at Classic Cat
- Free Grade Nine Music Appreciation lessons from Harmony Fine Arts at Home (with Naxos and Classical Archive online links, suggested biography writing prompts and online sources)
- Picture and Biography of Schubert
- Famous Musicians of the World by Henriette Brower (read online or download) An excellent summary of each composer.
- Schubert Squidoo lens with several videos of songs and other resources.
We also listen to this:
The narration of the musician’s life flows over some of his music and there are several tracks of music played after the biography.
I also read Schubert’s biography and the children filled in their Famous Musician Biography page. And we selected a specific piece (the kids nominated the Swan Song this week) and we listened to it several times while the kids filled in their Music Appreciation Log Sheet.
Pop over to my Famous Musician Pages for your own free downloads.