I love that one can keep learning,
and further with Charlotte Mason …
I’m a slow starter on this – I saw the Scripture Memory System at Simply Charlotte Mason a couple of years ago but shelved the idea because I felt we were covering enough scripture through songs and memory verses.
But this year it seemed we were not nailing our memory verses, nor refreshing the verses we knew often enough to keep it fresh in our minds and hearts.
It was time to get organized!
And Simply Charlotte Mason has done it all for us! And it is truly simple!
This is what I did:
- Read Simply Charlotte Mason how the system works.
- Download the tab divider file and cut them out. (You’ll find the tab pdf. at the bottom of the SCM post)
- SCM has a suggested verse list. I just copied the list with its subject headings to a Word page.
- Select those verses I wanted to start with. I wanted to focus on salvation scriptures so that my children grow in the truth about their faith.
- Here’s the only part I created: Using E-Sword, I copied and pasted the SCM suggested verses in NKJ version on a Word chart.
- Print these scripture cards out. Here’s a free download: Verse Cards – Salvation and Verse Cards – Christian Living
- Put the first card in place and start at breakfast that week.
Already, we have learned cards daily for 3 weeks and my older young adult stepson and eldest daughter are learning along with us each day.
I love that my hubby, who knows so much Word, shares and explains and expounds on new verses. It has become a family habit. Our daily bread.
I noted that one SCM parent commented that she put hymns in her system too. Another good idea!
I’m so grateful for the system and its simplicity and if you have middle-school-aged children, I really encourage you to put scripture memory in practice.
Many of us have joined Ann Voskamp in memorizing Colossians this year. She has a neat little booklet with each week’s verse typed out. I have found this personally inspiring and challenging, but I’m so grateful for the large chunks of scripture already put to memory.
Blessings as you write God’s Word in your heart,