Our rivers studies in Geography …
We live high up on a remote mountain farm where the purest mountain water flows into rushing, narrow waterfalls and dark, icy cold pools.
Even when there is no rain or snow, the clouds condense against the rocks and shrubs high in the mountain peaks and water constantly trickles downhill.
Our water is literally flowing out of the mountain – we live near the source!
There is nothing purer than mountain water.
As we drive through the valley below the river is wider, shallow and filled with leaves, sand and muddy deposits.
The river is deeper on the outer curving edges and reeds fill the valley.
Here and there, the river forms small rapids over rocky slopes.
Floods here 2 years ago created large white sand banks. Fallen logs and trees still lie across the river.
And as we drive an hour or so further to the coast, our river has joined several others and now, large and meandering, flows into an estuaryand trickles out to sea – the river mouth.
Isn’t it wonderful to live, see and even drink this subject?
You can download the 12 page minibooks and notebook pages here ~
Activities included in this download are:
- Describe a river from source to mouth – an accordion minibook
- River Vocabulary – an 8-flap minibook
- Label the major rivers on each continent – world map
- Label the major labels on your continent/ in your country – 4-flap minibook with several pages of world maps, maps of Europe, Australia and North and South America.
- Create a 3D river scene – Pop-up card
- 2 notebook pages; a blank page for minibook and notebook combinations and half-page-primary-lined.
Here are some more river resources:
- Learn all about rivers at enchantedlearning.com
- Label the rivers of the world
- World river map
- River Quiz
- Glossary of river terminology
- Mapping the worlds rivers – Mapping the worlds rivers (rs.resalliance.org)
As I prepared the river theme, several floods ravaged the world. You could add this theme and/ or study floods on its own.
You may download this 9 page pdf file which has several images of most the major floods around the world in 2010 ~
- Flood Water Start to Recede in Pakistan (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Video: Dr. Sanjay Gupta Tours Flood-Ravaged Pakistan (shoppingblog.com)
- Pakistan floods prompt evacuations (bbc.co.uk)
- Pakistan Floods: 100,000 Pregnant Women At Risk (news.sky.com)
- Thousands affected by flooding in southern Mexico (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Thousands Evacuate Flooding in Southern Mexico (foxnews.com)
- You: Torrential rain raises flood in river Swat (nation.com.pk)
- Pakistan Floods Just One of Its Water Woes (abcnews.go.com)
- “Indian hand in Pakistan Floods” and related posts (daily.pk)