Twice a week we practice handwriting by doing copywork.
This term we will use some of George Washington Carver’s quotes. (I sourced these from Brainy Quote.com .) Have you read his amazing biography? We read our Sonlight book ~ Man’s Slave Becomes God’s Scientist George Washington Carver by David Collins ISBN 0-915134-90-X and found out the most amazing information about this inspirational Christian man and famous scientist.
Each quote has an interpretive question or vocabulary extension section. The copywork pages I am sharing are:
Primary lines George Washington Carver Quotes ~13 pages with red top line/blue base line/ grey dotted middle line with large spaces for easy, big letters and also include a biography page on George Washington Carver
George Washington Carver Quotes ~13 pages with black and grey dotted lines and medium spaces and includes a biography page on George Washington Carver
Print George Washington Carver Quotes ~ 13 pages with clear print font and primary lines as above and includes a biography page on George Washington Carver
It is wonderful to see what regular copywork teaches!
- beautiful, flowing, neat handwriting
- appreciation for peoples’ thoughts, ideas and views
- vocabulary extension ~ new words are often incorporated into the child’s own writing
- sentence construction ~ a natural method of learning language
- expressive writing ~ provides ideas, knowledge and skills to writing
- grammar – learnt from whole and broken into its parts in natural contextual method.
- reinforces memorization and memory of famous quotations