Back in my first year of homeschooling I was filled with excitement and fear … so I ticked the boxes, stuck strictly to the schedule, kept the routine and generally stressed to keep it all together – Core 1&2 World History, kindergarten and my little 3-year-old playing happily near my side.
When I re-read my detailed comments I wrote at the bottom of the schedule’s columns some years later, I was utterly amazed!
- that I wrote comments daily
- that I commented on all 3 children
- that I kept to the hectic farm life and homeschool schedule “doing it all’
Somehow, in the 8 years since my beginnings, I realized that each day is a positive learning experience if we:
- can pray and sing and do our devotional together
- do the basic disciplined studies/ desk work/ 3R’s within an hour or so
- read, read aloud or look at the amazing detailed pictures of the Sonlight books
- narrate – aloud/ write/ dictate / notebook or just tell Dad at supper
And if the stress is too much for a child (or the mom), we go and cuddle and read on the couch. Homeschool is the most joyful Mommy experience!
I love the gentle approach. I love the short lessons. I love reading with a small child on my lap or a teenager lying nearby. I love the story ending and us all sighing and wishing we could carry on. I love hearing the girls beg, “Go on Mom! Carry on!’ I love their excitement of new discoveries. I love their notebooks and all their pages with their narrations. I love being able to savour the moments. I love the Lord’s gift to us of family being together all day … everyday!