Using some paint, a serviette and Modge Podge and matt varnish we transformed some wooden items into beautiful decor!
A simple tutorial ~
- We decorated a wooden tissue box cover, and key holder and a small wooden picture frame.
- Unscrew the hooks from the key holder.
- Mix paint to match the serviette background colour.
- Paint the items with even strokes in the same direction. Allow to dry. Add a second coat if necessary.
- Prepare the serviette by cutting out the designs to fit the surface you wish to cover.
- Separate the top printed serviette layer from the underlying 2 tissue layers. Only use the thin top printed layer.
- Cover the surface with the cut out serviette and gently apply the Modge Podge with a sponge applicator. Avoid tearing the serviette and try gently ease out any air bubbles. Try not to overlap the serviette (as we did) as it will appear darker. Allow to dry.
- Add a 2nd coat of Modge Podge and let it dry.
- Wash the applicator sponge well with water.
- Finally paint on a coat of Matt Varnish.
- Re-screw the hooks onto the key holder.
This was our first project using this technique and I think we could improve a little here and there ~
- try not overlap any serviette
- try not tear the serviette
- try avoid bubbles and wrinkles
- paint thinner, more even layers of Modge Podge and varnish
I’m delighted with my 10-year-old daughter’s efforts! She enjoyed the whole process and we can think of several other items we could decorate!
Have you ever tried this? Any tips or suggestions? Please share with us in the comments below.