Cursive Handwriting Charts for Free!
My children are about 9 to 10-years old when they start cursive handwriting. They should have mastered print handwriting. They should learn all the letter forms on the chart before writing in cursive in notebook pages. The writing style we chose is the official South African school cursive form.
They use whiteboard markers to learn the letter shape and practice letter formation on the chart. Once the child masters lower case letters , they learn the upper case letters. Then they are able to write dictations and copywork in pencil on notebook pages.
You can download the 3 page cursive handwriting charts here – Cursive Handwriting Chart
Some more tips:
- Daily practice helps mastery
- ‘Talk’ through the letter formation – e.g.: flow up, loop over, straight down, touch the base line, slide up the line, curve up to mid line …
- Use a H pencil instead of HB as it doesn’t smudge easily
- Use sharp pencils
- Use rubber pencil grip to hold the pencil comfortably and correctly
- Use propelling pencils with the triangle rubber grip
- Sit comfortably, at the correct height table with feet resting on the floor (or foot stool/box/ledge)
- Neatest work for copywork – other writing is functionally neat and legible
- When they accomplish writing in pencil they can begin to use pen
Look at my Handwriting pages for more charts and tips :)